Driver: Johnny Rutherford
While a number of cars had been adapted to achieve “ground effects” over the previous three or four years, the 1980 Pennzoil Chaparral, which carried Johnny Rutherford to his third win, was the first car to have “ground effects” actually incorporated into its design. Nicknamed “The Yellow Submarine,” the revolutionary V8 Cosworth–powered Jim Hall entry was designed by John Barnard, later of McLaren fame.
Adoption cost: $1,000
* Racing Ambassador Membership
* A vintage photo of your adopted car in Victory Lane
* Recognition signage with the car and on the Museum’s website
* Listing on the Adopt-A-Car donor wall in the Museum
* An “I adopted” magnet of the car
* A certificate of adoption
Adoptions are for a period of one year with the option to renew annually.