‘Mario Andretti: ICON’ Presented by Shell V-Power NiTRO+
‘Mario Andretti: ICON’ presented by Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline, opened to the public on May 1, 2019 – a fitting start to the long-awaited “Month of May” at the IMS Museum and Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The exhibit is part of a comprehensive celebration at IMS recognizing the 50th anniversary of Andretti’s popular victory at the 1969 Indianapolis 500-Mile Race. The exhibit features a full retrospective of Andretti’s incredible career, from Sprint Car racing in the early 1960s, to four career IndyCar championships and Formula 1 World Championship glory, and his busy life today as an ambassador for the NTT IndyCar Series.
‘Mario Andretti: ICON’ presented by Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is anchored by 23 cars representing significant milestones in the history of auto racing and highlights personal success and global fame for Andretti, who emigrated from Italy to Nazareth, Pa., with his family in 1955 when he was age 15.
Visitors to the IMS Museum will see a sampling of race cars that tell the story of Andretti’s gift for speed, including:
- The Spring Car that legendary driver Ted Horn drove to three championships in the 1940s and Andretti drove in his first Sprint car race in May 1961.
- The Mercury Cyclone Andretti drove to a major upset victory in the 1967 Daytona 500.
- The Brawner Hawk III replica of Andretti’s 1969 Indianapolis 500 winner.
- The John Player Special Lotus Type 79 Andretti drove to clinch the 1978 Formula 1 World Championship.
- The 1994 Lola T9400 Andretti piloted in his final IndyCar race at Laguna Seca in 1994, capping his “Arrivederci Mario” farewell season and an IndyCar career spanning 30 years.
‘Mario Andretti: ICON,’ presented by Shell V-Power NiTRO+ also includes firesuits, helmets, exquisite photography and an audio tour. Visitors can log onto www.imsmaudio.com on their smartphone and follow the prompts to hear behind-the-scenes exhibit narration by Andretti, plus entertaining insight from longtime rivals A.J. Foyt, Al and Bobby Unser, and team owner Roger Penske.
‘Mario Andretti: ICON,’ presented by Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is open through November 10, 2019.